Saturday, November 26, 2011

Don't mess with Dessen!

It is not always easy to be an adult and write from a teen perspective, but Dessen has it down to a science. I recently read her latest novel, What Happened to Goodbye, which happens to be her tenth novel. She fills the novel with everything interesting to a middle school or high school female in a voice that is realistic. Her characters are well-developed and memorable. So, how does Dessen do it even though she is way past her teenage years?
Dessen says, "In high school, I was lucky enough to have a big group of girlfriends that have really inspired a lot of the stories in my books. I’m still close with my friends from that time, so it’s never very hard to put myself back into that place, that voice."
Dessen goes on to say, "When I found an author who seemed to say just what I was feeling, it really struck me and resonated. I hope that my books do that for the people who read them: I think it’s the best thing to which any writer can aspire."

I think Dessen does resonate with teenage girls. Don't mess with Dessen! She knows how to write a good young adult novel.

See more about Dessen on her webiste: http://sarahdessen.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment